Principal Application DeveloperTitle: Principal Application Developer
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world''s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury.
Headquartered in Chattanooga Tennessee, Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts and Glendale, California with 35 field offices nationwide.
Unum's Global Business Technology organization is made up of 1,200 talented, forward-thinking IT and Business professionals. We value individual strengths, innovation, leadership, collaboration and strong partnerships. We offer defined career paths as well as on-going training and international development opportunities. As an organization, we contribute to the achievement of Unum''s strategic goals through the delivery of smart, innovative technology solutions.
The ideal candidate will have solid IT experience with a strong passion for innovation and continuous improvement. Experience with large system design and development is a plus. This position focuses on an architecture that includes Linux, DB2, Cognos and Portal technologies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
* Performs analysis and design of complex processes and systems in various business and technical environments.
* Assists application developers and business partners in research, problem solving and investigation of new procedures, software equipment and operating systems to determine their usefulness and applicability for business initiatives across the corporation.
* Leads projects, as assigned, performing all aspects of project management.
* Understands and supports organizational goals/priorities and contributes to strategic decisions.
* Mentors information systems professionals at various levels in technical matters and related business operations.
* Maintains expertise to function as a subject matter expert in multiple technical or business disciplines.
* Develops strong partnerships with business clients, application developers, software vendors and other technical resources.
* Drives the development of and supports the systems standards and procedures, the enterprise architecture and the application development methodology.
* Communicates effectively with business partners and systems resources at all levels.
* Delivers effective, high-quality solutions in a timely manner.
* Designs, constructs and implements complex portions of systems.
* Writes program specifications for complex technical portions of systems.
* Performs other duties as assigned
* Demonstrated ability to think strategically
* Demonstrated ability to think conceptually, understand the ''big picture''
* Demonstrated depth of business knowledge and technical expertise
* Demonstrated proficiency in data and process analysis and data modeling
* Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with peers and business partners across the corporation
* Capable of performing project leader role on medium to large projects while demonstrating a solid working knowledge of the Navigator project tool.
Unum offers world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of a person''s race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, gender or sexual orientation.